Your family recently hosted Coach K in your home as part of a recruiting visit. What was that like?

Share it:
WC: It felt great. Being able to talk to him, listen to all the knowledge he was able to give to me at the moment. It just felt amazing, him and all the assistant coaches just sitting in the same dining room that I sit in every day — it felt amazing.
What did you enjoy about the relentless AAU circuit? 
WC: You get more of a chance to prove yourself to the college coaches who are at these games. Every game was a great game, every team had great players on the team so there were never any blowouts or anything like that. It gave you an opportunity to show coaches that you’re an actual hooper and you know what it means to play basketball.
What role did academics play during such a strenuous hoops schedule?
WC: Growing up, my parents told me that if I didn’t maintain an A in all of my classes I wasn’t allowed to play basketball in my church league or go out and play basketball. So it kind of was engrained in my brain if I don’t keep good grades in the classroom I was not going to be able to play basketball. I eventually started liking school and actually going to class. I mean, it took me a while to actually like it, I’d wake myself up in the morning to go to school and it kind of took off on its own.
How do you balance basketball with living a regular teenage life?
WC: I kind of make time for it. Just like I made time for basketball, I made time for my friends and family, I kind of let it work itself out. I don’t try to strain myself in the gym, I believe that God has a plan for me and he’ll tell me how long I’ll have to be in the gym, when I need to be with my family and friends and that’s kind of how I approach it. I think I can call myself a people person.
What level of importance do you put on being coachable and a good teammate?
WC: Yeah, that was one thing I’ve always wanted to work on. Growing up I’ve been known as the kid with the bad temper ― getting mad at refs and my teammates and things like that. And I just got tired of hearing that so I found a way to fix myself where I’m more coachable. Enjoying the game, and enjoying the moment, that’s really about it. 
NBA players stress the summer as the time to add to their games. What part of your game will you attack this summer? 

WC: My endurance and stamina is definitely one thing I want to improve, where I’m able to play in the game longer and still be able to play as hard as I did from tip-off. I also want to work on my ball-handling skills and my confidence ― like if time is running down and we need a big shot, I can be able to do it and still be calm and collected and still make the right moves to get the ball off.
Share it:

sports

Tv

Post A Comment:

0 comments: