These 2 High School Superstars Are Excelling On And Off The Court

Share it:
Earning an invitation to the McDonald’s High School All-American game is like earning All-NBA honors as a professional: not just an All-Star appearance, but the pinnacle of the sport.
Not only were Atlanta’s Wendell Carter Jr. and Salem, Oregon’s Evina Westbrook selected to the game, but they’ve also been chosen as the 2017 Morgan Wootten Players of the Year. The award ― previously handed out to the likes of LeBron James, Jahlil Okafor, Jabari Parker and Maya Moore ― recognizes them for their outstanding character, leadership and the values as student-athletes in the community. 
Carter, who is committed to Duke, and Westbrook, a Tennessee signee, recently caught up with HuffPost to discuss the prestigious McDonald’s game, as well their emphasis on academia and how the love of all things basketball extends far beyond the game.
EW: I would just let them know, “Hey coach, I’m busy right now but is there a time where I can call you tomorrow or maybe in the next couple of days?” So when I was busy or I was hanging out with my family or had to do homework ― anything like that ― I definitely let them know that I’m not forgetting about them. I’m just busy at the moment just like any other teenager. You just have to really communicate.
What drew you to Tennessee aside from the wonderful hoops tradition? 
EW: I think when I was on my visit, that was just a place where I felt most at home. I’ve always wanted to go away from home ― I’ve known that since I was younger, and my parents have known that. I feel like I’m going to be safe and surrounded by people who have my best interests. 
Duke is a highly respected university, aside from all its basketball prowess. What attracted you to the school?
WC: Like you said, it had a great measure of both academics and athletics. I’m not saying that Harvard was not a great athletic school and I’m not taking away from any other colleges ― it just seemed like Duke was the perfect mix of both. And the town is nice and small, not too busy, and also still a college town where I think I can have a little bit of fun.





Share it:

Celebrity

exclusive

sports

Tv

Post A Comment:

0 comments: